Lord of the flies by William Golding
A group of schoolboys survive when their plane crashes on an island. Ralph becomes the leader, and the boys work together to build a shelter and gather food and water to stay alive. Jack takes charge of a group hunting animals. Some of the younger children say they have been chased by a strange beast. Jack promises to kill the beast, but Ralph wants to concentrate on getting off the island. Some boys go with Jack, and others stay with Ralph. Here begins a classic battle of good versus evil.
Grammar/gerunds and infinitives
Hometask: ex.2/a,b,e,page 55
2. a. Look at the sentences from the texts on page 54. The missing verbs are followed by a verb in the –ing form (a gerund). Complete the sentences with the correct forms of the verbs.
1. Jane can’t stand living with her evil aunt.
2. Why does the Count avoid seeing Jonathan during the day?
3. Bilbo Baggins enjoys living an ordinary life.
b.The missing verbs in these sentences are followed by to + infinitive. Complete the sentences with the correct forms of the verbs. Use the texts on page 54 to help you.
1. Jane decides to leave the school.
2. Count Dracula wants to buy a house in England.
3. Jack promises to kill the beast.
4. Gollum offers to free Bilbo of he can solve a riddle